Director of Music Ministries sought for Christ United Methodist Church, a growing congregation in Mountain Top, PA, with a variety of musical groups and worship styles. The ideal applicant will be a worshiper of Jesus with experience leading a congregation into the presence of God, a skilled organist and pianist, competent vocalist, and effective serving in and leading teams.
Responsibilities include recruiting, accompanying, and directing choirs; leadership of a worship band; providing opportunity and development for the next generation of musicians; and expanding and enriching the church’s musical worship life with various ethnic traditions and genres including contemporary worship music.
For more information or to submit a resume and references, contact church administrator Suzanne Bowman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 570.474.6060.
St. Eulalia’s Parish is seeking an individual for the position of Music Director in the responsibilities of the Parish Music Ministry. Duties will include the planning of music for the various liturgies, scheduling of cantors, keyboard abilities to provide accompaniment for congregational and choral singing, and planning and coordinating vocal and instrumental music for all children’s Masses. Kindly respond to email@example.com.
Elm Park United Methodist Church of Scranton, Pennsylvania is seeking a part-time Director of Music and part-time Organist for our church, beginning September 1, 2016. A brief description of each position follows:
Part-Time Director of Music
Primary duties are to coordinate, plan and implement a comprehensive music ministry that complements the overall mission and goals of the church. The church music program consists of two Sunday services per week, during which an organist plays. The earlier service also routinely has a soloist, and the later service has a volunteer choir. Our children’s choir also participates regularly in the later service. The church is further interested in revitalizing its handbell and chimes choirs. The Director of Music will report to the Pastor and the Staff-Parish Relations Committee.
Primary duties are to play the organ during the 11:00 AM Sunday worship service, and to play during choir rehearsals that are held one day a week, from Labor Day through Memorial Day. Additional responsibilities will include special rehearsals and services throughout the year including Christmas Eve and Lenten services. The ideal candidate will be a flexible team member with a deep understanding of the role of a musician in worship. We believe our Farrand and Votey organ is one of the finest in the nation, having been removed, reworked, and reinstalled by the Reuter Organ Company in 1995-96. A more thorough description of the organ can be found here. We are also blessed to have in the Sanctuary a Steinway & Sons Concert Grand Piano. The Organist/Accompanist will report to the Pastor and Staff-Parish Relations Committee.
If you are interested in either or both of these positions, please contact:
John Warring, Chairperson, Staff-Parish Relations Committee
c/o Elm Park United Methodist Church
712 Linden Street
Scranton, PA 18503
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, Montrose, Pennsylvania, is seeking an organist or organist/choir director to play traditional and contemporary service music and/or anthems for one Sunday service a week. Interested persons, please send your resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trinity Episcopal Church, Mt. Pocono, Pennsylvania is seeking an Organist/Choirmaster to provide music at all weekly and special services including, Christmas Eve/Day, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter, and any other service agreed upon by the Priest, Vestry, and Organist. Right of first refusal for funerals and weddings.
Regular weekly service is Sunday morning 10:00 a.m. A volunteer adult/youth choir would rehearse once a week, as set by Organist/Choirmaster and Choir Members. The Candidate must be able to work well with staff and a choir. Knowledge of Episcopal Liturgy as well as familiarity of all common traditional hymn styles and other styles of music would be beneficial. The salary will be based on experience and the church budget. There is an Allen Electronic Organ and a Steinway Grand Piano in the church.
If interested, please send a cover letter and resume to:
Trinity Episcopal Church, 137 Trinity Hill Road, Mt. Pocono, PA 18344 or email@example.com
Grace Episcopal Church in Port Jervis, NY is in need of an organist to play its weekly 10:15 a.m. worship in addition to Holy Week and Christmas Eve services. There is no choir. Stipend is $125 per service, somewhat negotiable. Contact Father David Lee Carlson at 845-856-3026 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to apply.
The Church of the Immaculate Conception, Port Jervis, New York is seeking an Organist/Cantor/Choir Director to provide music at all required Masses, special observances including Christmas, Holy Week, Easter, Confirmation, First Communion and other services as indicated (Holy Days of Obligation). Right of first refusal for funerals and weddings.
Regular services include one Saturday evening Mass and two Sunday morning Masses. Volunteer adult and youth choirs rehearse weekly September to June. The Candidate must be able to work well with staff and the two choirs. Knowledge of Catholic Liturgy preferred as well as familiarity of all common traditional hymn styles and chant. The salary will be based on experience and the church budget. There is a 3 Manual Pipe Organ that is in excellent condition.
If interested, please send a cover letter, resume or curriculum vitae, and contact information for three professional references to:
Reverend Father Matthew C. Newcomb
P.O. Box 712
Port Jervis, New York 12771
Divine Redeemer Church in Mount Carmel is looking for a Choir Director/Organist. A job description is included below. For more information, please contact the parish office at 570-339-3450.
Choir Director/ Organist
A gross payment of $100.00 per choir Mass and $100.00 per choir rehearsal will be paid twice a month. The net payment will be minus taxes. Payment for up to thirteen additional choir rehearsals will be $70.00 each. Payment for non-choir Masses, when solicited, will be $70.00 each. Contract will allow for two unpaid vacation weeks, if needed. Emergency cancellations for any contractual responsibilities will be considered, but not compensated.
- One Mass per weekend x 50 weeks
- One rehearsal per week x 50 weeks
- Special liturgies as defined below
- To develop, grow and sustain a volunteer choir to complement the Sunday 10:30 a.m. Mass and Holy Days.
- To engage the parishioners in prayerful song while supporting the gospel message of the Parish Pastor.
- To work under the spiritual direction of the Pastor to design and provide thoughtful musical choices to coincide with the weekly readings and liturgical calendar.
- Be mindful of the music budget and stay within those parameters as set by the Liturgy Committee to acquire sheet music and other instruments; to upkeep equipment and instruments; and to contract musical support.
- Be willing to work with lay personnel on a variety of special projects.
- Hold weekly practice(s).
- Be at the parish no less than twenty minutes prior to rehearsal, organized and prepared to start practice on time.
Sunday 10:30 a.m. Mass
- Be at the parish prepared to lead the choir 30 minutes before Mass.
- Accompany and direct the weekly volunteer choir, cantors, and occasional auxiliary musicians.
Direct Special Liturgies
- Holy Day Vigils: Mary, Mother of God, Ash Wednesday, Ascension Thursday, Assumption, All Saints, Immaculate Conception
- Commissioned secular day(s), i.e. Thanksgiving.
- Easter Triduum: Holy Thursday Mass, Good Friday Service, and Easter Masses (2)
- Christmas Masses (2)
- Extra Weekday/Weekend Masses, as needed, i.e. Forty Hours. (When liturgies fall outside of the regular church calendar, the director will be given two weeks prior notice to arrange his schedule.)
St. John’s Lutheran Church, Nanticoke, is looking to hire an organist. Sunday services are at 8:00 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. and coffee and pastries are available between the services. It is preferred that the organist be available to play the 11:15 a.m. service at St. Mark’s Lutheran Church in Pond Hill (St. John’s partner parish) as well. St. John’s features a Rodgers electronic organ and St. Mark’s features an Allen electronic organ. Service music and hymns are chosen by Worship and Music Committee. The organist is encouraged, but not required, to participate on the Committee. St. John’s is a welcoming and friendly community of believers. A competitive salary is offered. St. John’s will be happy to meet with candidate and answer any questions. For information or to apply, please contact the Pastor, Rev. Debra North at 570-735-1760 or email email@example.com.
Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church (ELCA), Mechanicsburg, is in need of part-time minister of music. Duties include organ accompaniment at all services, maintenance of music library, direction of vocal and bell choirs. Salary commensurate with experience. Position starts July 1st. Send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Faith Lutheran Church in Blakeslee is looking for an organist. Please contact Pegg Rapp at 570-460-3866 for details.
St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, Orwigsburg, is seeking a part-time organist/choir director with handbell experience. If interested, call Pastor Lee Diefenderfer at 570-366-2316 for more information or email your resume to email@example.com.
St. James’ Episcopal Church 214 Washington St. Hackettstown, NJ 07840 is looking to hire a new organist/choir director starting in January 2015. This position would initially be considered Interim and be a weekly pay position with no pay when the employee is absent. Once the parish has a permanent minister the interim may, upon agreement with the minster, chose to stay on or chose to leave. At that time, the position may be revisited in terms of pay, etc.
- Planning choir anthems related to the liturgical theme of the day or season
- Conducting weekly choir rehearsals (currently adult choir only) on Sunday mornings at 8:30am
- Playing for the 10am Sunday service weekly including preludes and postludes, congregational hymns and service music, and occasional offertory pieces in lieu of a choir anthem
- Directing the choir in their anthem each Sunday
- Working with the minister to plan the worship music, or be able to plan the worship music alone should the minister not want to do that. This involves understanding the Episcopal liturgy and utilizing appropriate planning tools to select music that works for each Sunday’s, or each season’s, theme
- Attending Parish Life planning meetings about once a quarter to coordinate with other groups on the worship for the upcoming season(s)
- Availability for special services in place of or in addition to the weekly 10am service: Christmas Eve (3 services), Easter (2 services), Advent Lessons & Carols (regular Sunday but at 9am; no 10am service that day), additional services during Holy Week that can include Maundy Thursday, Good Friday evening service, Easter Vigil ( Holy Saturday)
- Accompany Summer Services (one service at 9am) July – August
- Provide substitute when on vacation or absent
- Provide accompaniment for weddings, funerals, if available (with additional remuneration provided)
- Recruit additional choir members, maintain & train current choir
- Familiarity with 1982 Episcopal Hymnal and supplemental hymnals such as Wonder, Love and Praise, and Lift Every Voice and Sing.
- Familiarity with Episcopal liturgy: regular Eucharist as well as liturgies for special feast days in Lent, Advent, Holy Week. St. James’ celebrates the Holy Eucharist at all regular Sunday services and most special services.
- Ability to inspire and sustain the choir. Some experience in improving each singer’s vocal performance is desirable.
Pay: $200/week (approx. 3-7 hr/wk)
To apply, please email your resume with references to Pamela Laura at firstname.lastname@example.org. Church website: http://stjameshackettstown.org
Forty Fort United Methodist Church, on the corner of Wyoming and Yeager Avenues in Forty Fort, is looking to hire a new organist and choir director.
• To coordinate with the Pastor and Worship Committee the music for Sunday services and seasonal events, (i.e., Christmas time, Holy Week services)
• To arrange practice schedule for and accompany all choirs; presently adult choir, to include in future a bell choir, children’s choir and quartet
• To select anthems for Sunday and special services
• To arrange for soloists or other special music during summer months
• To provide substitute when on vacation or absent
• To provide accompaniment for weddings, funerals, if available (with additional remuneration provided)
• To be familiar with the United Methodist Hymnal and contemporary gospel music
Other job related duties:
• All guests organists must meet your approval, and obtain permission from the Pastor, before playing for an event
• Starting Salary : $7,500/yr (approx. 3-7 hr/wk)
• Vacation Time: 4 wk/yr (4 weeks incl. 4 Sunday)
• Personal Days: 1 wk (incl. 1 Sunday)
For more information, or to apply, please contact Rev. Dr. Philip Wanck, Pastor, by calling 570-287-4518 (office) or 570-955-7822 (cell).
First Reformed United Church of Christ, Berwick, is seeking an organist for the 9:30 a.m. choir rehearsal and 10:00 a.m. service one Sunday a month (occasionally two Sundays, negotiable). Duties also include accompanying choir rehearsal from 7:30-9:00 p.m. on the Wednesday night before the Sunday service. During Lent, there is a Wednesday evening Lenten service (preceded by choir practice) before the Sunday. Salary is dependent upon experience and possibly distance. For more information, or to apply, contact organist Marilou Hinchcliff at email@example.com or 542-7338.